The MREA strategic plan described below was adopted by the MREA Board February 16, 2015. This plan will be used as a directive to implement our work through 2017. Select this link to download a printable brochure about MREA: MREA Brochure.
MREA Vision, Mission and Values
The Minnesota Rural Electric Association (MREA) is the Minnesota Statewide representing the electric cooperatives in the state of Minnesota. We foster unity among and provide service to all of Minnesota’s 50 electric cooperatives.
Our Vision: Preparing members for success in an evolving industry.
Our Mission: MREA will provide valued service and promote unity among our members through collaborative leadership and expertise.
- Integrity: Caring about who we are and where we are going. Honest and straightforward in all we do.
- Leadership: Unified and co-op strong. Relevant for today and prepared for tomorrow.
- Excellence/Quality: Excellence through innovation. Providing uncompromised quality.
- Service: Be the preferred choice by putting our members first.
Strategic Themes & Supporting Objectives
Strengthen the culture of safety for our cooperative community.
- Provide professional services and resources to drive actions and solutions that support a culture of safety.
- Provide a uniform process for reporting information about incidents to effectively share lessons learned and prevent accidents.
- Clearly communicate and market the expertise of MREA’s Safety and Loss Control department.
- Encourage safe practices by providing tools and information to all areas of the cooperative community.
Positively influence national, state, and local energy policy. Proactively develop and pursue beneficial policies and react to external threats.
- Pass stray voltage legislation and develop a guide addressing stray voltage with stakeholders.
- Continue legislative and regulatory efforts to address net metering challenges.
- Strengthen the grassroots network at all levels.
- Define and communicate policy priorities and foster unity in addressing them.
- Develop a process for coordinating regulatory priorities across the membership.
Provide education, expertise, and offerings that uniquely focus on members’ needs.
- Analyze and adapt to changing demographics.
- Enhance MREA communications and public relations.
- Develop a plan for MREA Board of Directors outreach.
- Proactively identify and communicate evolving industry trends.
Sustain a healthy organization, with engaged and productive employees that have the resources necessary to meet the needs of a diverse membership within an evolving industry.
- Attract and retain qualified staff and maintain an engaged workforce.
- Continue development of the MREA Leadership Team and staff.
- Ensure MREA remains fiscally stable and financially healthy.
- Consider new sources of revenue to support the needs of our members.
- Continue to demonstrate value so our members recognize MREA as the provider of choice.
As the statewide agent for cooperation among cooperatives, identify talent and expertise within the network of cooperatives, including outside experts, to address emerging and critical issues.
- Identify and address key issues that members need assistance to resolve.
- Identify new services needed by members.
- Develop committees to review potential new offerings.
- Maintain the integrity of our services to cooperatives while exploring opportunities to expand the audience for MREA services.